Bah-Boo and Gammy in Santorini

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Meeting Interesting and Diverse People

Gammy posting again.  (You can assume it's always me unless Baboo identifies himself.)
My very favorite thing about the Foreign Service is meeting so many interesting people from so many diverse backgrounds. Just the American community is amazingly diverse and fascinating. But today I attended a coffee for spouses of the diplomatic community around Port-au-Prince. It was hosted by the wife of a senior American diplomat but was attended by spouses of many in the international community. Just as in DC, many countries have embassies here, and many also have United Nations detachments. At today's coffee there were wives of senior officials from Albania, Germany, Netherlands, and Thailand.  And some of the wives of  American officials were themselves from places like Niger and England. It was super interesting to me to speak with these women about their experiences in this international world. This is the kind of thing I dreamed of when I thought about my life as a retired, diplomatic spouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment