Bah-Boo and Gammy in Santorini

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Some Good Things About Haiti




JULY 11, 2014


I write to fill the time.  Of course, we’ve only been here 11 days, but we still have no internet or TV service.  (I use an extra computer at the embassy every couple of days to keep in touch.)  I’ve finished four books and a 1000-piece puzzle so far.

Here are some things I like about Haiti: 

  • The beautiful flowers.  I took some pictures of lots of the pretty flowers in our front yard; but for some unknown reason, I am unable to upload them to this blog. 
  • Our nice house.  Once I get my things, I will enjoy puttering around, arranging and organizing, and as I often did in Algiers, rearranging and reorganizing.
  • The proximity to the embassy.  Not more than a 5-minute walk, I can hang out up there.  I am going to Zumba twice a week, which is held in the embassy atrium.
  • Being on this compound.  I cannot even tell you how awful my life would be if I were stuck out in the satellite housing areas.  Not only am I close to what I need here, this compound has its own generators (nevertheless the electricity goes out several times each day), its own water well (which means we can use tap water to brush our teeth, but we still can’t drink it), and its own logistics support structure (including simple things like trash pickup, grounds keeping, etc.).  As I said earlier, there are many others living here, so I am sure I will make friends and find activities before too long.  I’ve already talked to the Information Resource Center at the embassy about volunteering there.
  • Of course, the people.  As we've found since our first encounter with the diplomatic corps, at every post there are interesting, smart, friendly, kind, people who are in the same boat that we are, who understand everything we are going through, and who are happy to help with advice, rides, food, whatever.  They come from diverse backgrounds, so we never tire of meeting fascinating new people, every one with a variety of experiences and stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment