Bah-Boo and Gammy in Santorini

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Staying Safe – my own personal opinions

Since our ambassador to Libya was killed on 9/11, tensions all around our region have been high, especially in Libya, Egypt, and Tunisia, with America being target #1.  I was still in Virginia when the trouble started and wondered whether I would be able to get back, which I did on 9/14.  Since then I have not left the apartment.  We were confined to our quarters over the weekend; and though we can go out now, and the embassy is open, no one is supposed to go anywhere alone for the time being.  In fact, the embassy has set up shuttle vans to take employees to and from work each day.  In our case, we are only a couple of blocks; and the walk takes 8 minutes.  Nevertheless, we can't walk the streets alone.  So for me, I am still confined to the apartment since there is no one else here during the day.  Fortunately for me, it’s nice here with my wonderful rooftop terrace, sea breeze, and sunshine.  (From here I can see the embassy and check for any smoke rising from it.)  I feel comfortable and safe. 

Tonight Baboo and I are going to walk to the Superette, a 7/11-type store where we buy our staples like cereal, milk, cheese, cleaning stuff.  I look forward to getting out, but I am still very nervous.  I am not worried about demonstrations.  They are usually pretty easy to avoid and I believe the government here in Algeria is strong and tough, pro-US, and can handle (read: suppress) any trouble.  This government, though rigid, has been in place for many many years and was not the subject of any Arab Spring uprisings and, in fact, was reelected this past spring.  So I think this is why they can handle and direct the police and provide security for us.  This is not the case in the other Arab countries where the governments are so new that they don’t have much control over anything yet.  They cannot protect themselves, much less all the foreign interests.  So what worries me is not the possibility of mobs, but instead the stealthy presence of terrorism and the ability of committed individuals to pick me up off the street.  Hopefully, this is not a serious threat and I won’t be worried about it for long.  But for now, the embassy is taking everything very seriously and making significant efforts to keep us safe.  I can certainly deal with any inconveniences.  Of course, our long-planned trip to the golf spa in Tunisia is on the chopping block.  Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment